Monday, June 30, 2014

Blueberry Patch 2.0

As you may remember, last year my son-in-law, Jerry, and I put up an enclosure around our big blueberry patch. It was made out of PVC pipe. I chose the PVC pipe as a cost saving measure. The whole thing cost less than 100 bucks. During the snow storm last January, it was torn up completely
The original "cage"
I decided when the weather got warm, that I would redo it with better material. 

In the mean time, my next door neighbor's son hit my mail box and tore it up. I made a deal with his parents that if he gave me 4 hours of work, he would pay off the cost of the mail box. Unfortunately, he is on the Mooresville golf team (no. 2 golfer and Sectional champion. Way to go Jake!) and wasn't available to do any work until he got out of school. That was at the end of May. That wasn't a problem because we only want to put up the netting when the berries are getting ripe, and that's now.
In addition, s-i-l, Jerry, was visiting again. So, I had two helpers. The first Saturday in June was the work day. We put in 15 4x4 treated posts with cement in the holes. I have a friend that loaned me his power post hole digger, and that was a big help. 
Putting in a post.
Checking for level. 
 
The next week Jerry and I put stranded wire across the post, and, then, Gloria and I put up the netting along with some straw to keep out the weeds. (Jerry and Suzanne had left.) 

The finished enclosure.

Along with the other two older blueberry plants, I guess that we will get a more than gallon or so of berries. 
It goes to show you that you should never go too cheap when doing a project.  It will cost more in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment