Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The TRIP - Day 7

June 19, 2009


Gloria and I got up at 4:45 AM to go deep sea fishing. We were on the Billfisher II with Captain Howard and First Mate Eric.

However, there was a problem; the captain had not received notification of our reservation and had booked a 6 hour private charter. He asked the man, George, if he minded if we came along, and he said no. The captain gave George a discount on his tour.

George and his wife Fern were a very nice couple. He is 88 years old, and his wife, we guessed, is no younger than 77. She had gone zip lining the day before. Gloria and I both said that we hoped that we were as vital as this couple when and if we make it that old.

There were six poles which Gloria and I were assigned one each and George got 4. The rule stated that you got to land any fish that were on your pole, But, George told me that I could have the first fish even if it was on his pole because it was my first time deep sea fishing.

After about 45 minutes, a fish hit on one of Georges pole. George told me to take the chair which I did. I figured that reeling in a fish was easier than I first thought or it was a small fish. Well, it was a small one about 30 lbs. But, it was still fun.

Me Reeling in my Monster

After that, it was troll, troll, troll. The First Mate changed bait several times, but there were no strikes. It was disappointing that we didn't catch more, but it was fun anyway.

Me with the "Monster"

We pick up Larry and Wanda in Kona and want back to the condo for the luau that night. We had very nice seats – up close (which we payed extra for). The food was OK. The show was very good.

Two Happy Luau Attenders

The Entertainment

Afterward, we returned to the condo to prepare to leave for Maui the next day.

2 comments:

  1. I can't see the fish pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I can see the pictures now. :)

    Did your trip end on day 7???

    ReplyDelete